In this post, we will teach you how to get rid of cloudy hot tub water and how to keep your water clear and healthy. It is very important that you maintain balanced water chemistry in your hot tub. If you allow the water chemistry to become too far out of balance you run the risk of damaging your skin as well as different hot tub components.
Table of Contents: How to Get Rid of Cloudy Hot Tub Water
What causes cloudy hot tub water?
There are a number of things that can cause the water in your spa to become cloudy or murky. Some of the main causes are:
• Dirty filters
• Excessive oils / organic matter
• Improper sanitization
• Suspended particles / organic matter
• Overused or old water
Next, we will go over some simple solutions on how you can go from cloudy to clear. (Don’t worry, you don’t have to be a rocket scientist, but you do need to know a little bit about how to use test strips)
Turn your Cloudy Water Clear
- The first and easiest solution you can do is clean or change your spa filters. When your filters become old or overly dirty, they lose the ability to filter the water properly.
- Test the spa water to make sure the water chemistry is balanced. Add the proper amount of chemicals to fix the issue if the water chemistry is out of balance.
- If you find the water chemistry is within the ideal readings and your filters are clean, you may have excessive oils, or “organic matter” in the water. A water clarifier can help by combining small particles into larger ones for easier filtration. Adding natural spa enzymes to your water can also eliminate oils by converting them to easier-to-remove compounds.
- If you haven’t changed your water in a long time (over six months) you may just have over-used water. To fix this issue just drain and refill your spa with fresh water. Hint: Remove hard water and scale deposits with a surface cleaner while the spa is drained.
- You can use the Freshwater III Ozone Generator to help keep your water cleaner and clearer with fewer chemicals.
Thanks for reading “How to Get Rid of Cloudy Hot Tub Water.”
Backyard Plus is Here to Help You Be the Hero.
Questions about your spa? Contact us! We are the top Hotspring spa parts retailer on the web.
Call us at (805)541-9000
Text us to receive technical support
- Our Parts Finder which allows you to find exact-match replacements for your hot tub
- Free technical support that will allow you to maintain and repair your own spa accordingly
- Information regarding your products and their usage through our blog posts.
- Tutorials and assistance through our videos
- Follow us on our Facebook page
Our goal here at Backyard Plus is to help save you money by avoiding costly service calls for repairs that you can easily do yourself!