Replacement lens for non-white colored spa shells on 1996-1999 Hot Spring spas.
Light Lens Removal
IMPORTANT: READ ALL of the following instructions prior to attempting this repair.
* Special Parts
* Light Lens
* Repair Adhesive Kit
* Belt Sander/ or Sanding Disc
* Round file
* Masking Tape
* Dremel Moto-Tool / #426 Cut-Off Wheel (Used for lens removal from Quarite Shell only)
1. Disconnect power and drain the spa.
2. Completely dry the interior of the spa with a towel.
3. Place a drop cloth inside the spa to protect the interior spa shell.
4. Place masking tape on the spa shell around the perimeter of the light lens to protect the spa shell from damage.
5. Access the equipment compartment and remove any equipment necessary to allow access to the light lens.
6. Using the hammer and chisel, access the backside of the light lens and chisel off the three locating pins and pin nuts protruding through the shell
Note: Your new light lens will not have these pins (they are not required).
7. Light Lens Removal – All shells Except Quarite – you will damage the Quarite shell by using this procedure!
8. Use the hammer and chisel and start at the top of the lens.
9. Place the chisel between the lens and the shell and tap the chisel with a hammer until the lens begins to loosen
Caution: Too much force may damage the spa shell. Use the Quarite Instructions if the lens refuses to loosen from the shell.
10. Use light pressure on the chisel to lift the light lens from the spa shell.
11. Continue to move around the perimeter of the lens until the lens can be removed from the spa shell.
Light Lens Removal – Quarite Shell (Granite like Shell)
1. Use the Dremel tool with a #426 Cut-Off Wheel to cutout the lens diameter by staying approximately 1″ away from the edge
Be careful – Do not cut into the shell
2. When completed you should have a large hole where the light lens was and approximately 1″ of the lens surrounding the hole attached to the Quarite.
3. Use the Dremel Moto-Tool with a #426 Cut-Off Wheel and place 12 relief cuts into lens material surrounding the hole in the spa shell
4. Make the relief cuts on the surrounding lens, and also make the relief cuts where the lens material is seated inside the shell hole
Important: Be very careful when making the relief cuts not to cut into the shell. When using the Dremel Tool the position of the tool is very important, make sure the rotation of the wheel forces you into the light lens rather than into the shell.
5. SLOWLY breakaway SMALL pieces by tapping on a chisel (beveled edge towards shell) with a hammer between the relief cuts of the remaining lens.
6. Chisel between the adhesive (chlorine resistant epoxy) and the light lens to prevent any damage to the shell.
7. More relief cuts (as described above) may be necessary if the entire lens doesn’t breakaway.
1. After the entire lens is removed, use the belt sander or sanding disc to sand down the existing epoxy, which remains on the light lens bonding area of the spa shell. This bonding area should be sanded until smooth.
2. If necessary, use the round file to smooth the inner surface of the lens cutout in the spa shell.
Warning: Be very careful not to exert too much pressure when filing. The surface material should be flexed as little as possible during this operation. Too much flex in the shell material will cause the shell to crack.
3. After sanding and filing of the bonding area, clean the surface to remove any debris. After the area is clean, thoroughly dry the area to ensure proper bonding of the adhesive during installation.
4. Dry fit the new lens into place. If the lens does not fit into the hole, repeat from step 2 above until the lens fits properly.
5. Remove all masking tape used previously to protect the spa shell.
Light Lens Installation
1. Wipe down the replacement light lens to ensure there is no dirt, oil or debris on the perimeter bonding surface.
2. Mask the front surface of the lens to prevent any adhesive from adhering to the surface of the lens and damaging it.
3. Assemble the Repair Adhesive applicator and place assembly into a standard caulking gun.
4. Apply a 3/8″ bead of the Repair Adhesive completely around the perimeter bonding surface of the lens
5. Apply the lens to the prepared surface of the spa shell. Press the lens into place. Give the light lens a ¼ turn to ensure the adhesive is uniformly compressed behind the outer ring of the lens.
6. Use a minimum of two strips of masking tape to hold the light lens into place, if the spa shell is not flat enough to allow the lens to seat properly, use a brace to apply enough pressure for proper adhesion.
7. Access the light lens from inside of the equipment compartment.
8. Using the applicator plunger spread the Repair Adhesive around the inside perimeter of the lens until the entire inside perimeter has been sealed.
9. Reinstall any equipment removed from the spa.
The light lens adhesive requires 24 hours for a complete cure.
Remove the masking tape from the light lens before refilling the spa on the following day.